Classic Makeover – Cottage Cheese Gets Hip
Classics never go out of style — whether presented simply or dressed up with trendy new touches. Cottage cheese has been a favorite for generations, but innovative serving ideas give new appeal to this trusty favorite.
Cool and refreshing cottage cheese is an easy “right now” quick meal or snack for on-the-go people. It’s naturally high in protein, low in fat and carbohydrates and is a favorite among active, nutrition-conscious adults, providing women with the calcium they need. And, parents can feel good about it as an easy, healthy snack for kids. The creamy satisfying flavor of cottage cheese is great paired with pineapple or apple wedges, or mixed with applesauce and a shake of cinnamon.
The introduction of cottage cheese from Daisy Brand, the nation’s best selling sour cream brand, is an exciting new addition to the dairy case. Fresh and wholesome, this new cottage cheese contains only natural ingredients with no preservatives or additives.
Versatile cottage cheese is perfect for a quick snack, healthy meal or satisfying dessert:
• Break into breakfast: Serve cottage cheese alongside fresh fruit, mixed with yogurt or topped with cereal. Its creamy consistency is perfect stirred into eggs, pancakes, omelets or quiche.
• Satisfy snack attacks: Enjoy cottage cheese with fresh fruit, raw veggies or crackers.
• Mute the munchies with a thin spread of peanut butter on crackers topped with creamy cottage cheese.
• Savor smart lunch choices: Combine cottage cheese with fresh vegetables or fruit for a healthful, satisfying lunch.
• Make mid-day hearty and delicious by mixing cottage cheese into flaked tuna.
• Feature family-pleasing dinners: Count on cottage cheese to round out a salad or as a side dish, or use as a central ingredient in quiches or pasta dishes such as lasagna and ravioli.
• Dig into sweet endings: Scene-stealing desserts with cottage cheese include cheesecake, blintzes, turnovers and more.
Berry Breakfast Parfaits
2 cups (16 ounces) Daisy Brand
2 cups mixed fresh berries
such as sliced strawberries,
blueberries, and raspberries
1 cup granola
4 tablespoons sliced or chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla*
3/4 teaspoon Splenda®*
Refrigerate fruit mixture 2 hours before assembling. In four serving dishes layer 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, 1/8 cup of granola, and 1/4 cup of mixed berries. Repeat layers in each glass. Top each parfait with 1 tablespoon of almonds.
*For a sweeter taste, try adding 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon of Splenda to fruit and stir.
Apple-Cinnamon Pancake Stackers
between pancakes evenly, 3 pancakes per serving. Top with cottage cheese
mixture, a drizzle of maple syrup and a fresh mint sprig.