Historically Fort Bend:
Let’s Go Shopping
During the month of December, our attention turns to buying Christmas presents. Shopping becomes our favorite national pastime. We busily look for the perfect gift for friends and loved ones. Shoppers move from store to store like bees flitting from flower to flower.
An early Fort Bend County shopping mecca was the Robinowitz Brothers Department Store. Also called the R.B. Department Store, it was found in several cities throughout southeast Texas, including Richmond, Rosenberg, Beasley and Fairchilds. The Robinowitz Brothers also owned groceries and had interests in cattle raising and cotton farming.
Around 1900, Abe Robinowitz emigrated from Russia to the United States, landed in Galveston and started work as a peddler in Houston. In 1902, his brother Cecil joined him. He soon got started in the produce business. Before long they had pooled enough money together between them to bring the rest of their family to Texas. They included parents Joseph and Shenei; sisters Clara, Libby and Bessie; and brothers Max, Joe, Leon and Harry.
At its largest, the Robinowitz Brothers owned or co-owned about 35 stores in towns ranging from Edna in Jackson County to Houston. The family contributed to the early development of Rosenberg. Their buildings on Avenue G housed the early Rosenberg Post Office, Libby’s Dress Shop operated by Libby Robinowitz, and the R.B. Grocery Store. The brothers sold everything from clothes to furniture to groceries to hardware.
Historical facts and photos courtesy of the
Fort Bend County
Museum Association, Richmond, TX