Scene in the Bend: Cari Middaugh August 2016
FOR GALAS, PARTIES, LUNCHEONS
FOR SCHOOL & STUDENT NEWS AND OTHER HAPPENINGS:
Wow, it’s hard to believe that this summer is almost a wrap! I hope you’ve all enjoyed your time with friends and family. Send in photos of your vacation and/or get-togethers to be featured in an upcoming issue of Scene in the Bend! Please be sure to send photos original size (do not reduce for email) and include the names of all people.
Sienna Plantation Model Home Grand Opening
Approximately 100 business leaders, real estate elite and community members experienced a breath of fresh air — literally — while touring two new luxury model homes recently opened in Sienna Plantation. Visitors had the first look at well-appointed models by Gracepoint Homes and Toll Brothers in the gated neighborhood of Fox Bend in the Village of Sawmill Lake during an elegant evening staged in the homes. Additionally, event-goers were invited to breathe deeply at a scented oxygen bar. “The oxygen bar had eight soothing scents that cleared your mind, reduced your stress levels and put you in a lovely mood to tour these gorgeous new model homes,” said Christen Johnson, senior vice president of marketing for Sienna Plantation.
1) Ralph Lojo and Monica Cain of Gracepoint Homes and Chuck Cain of Shea Homes.
2) Kelly Condrey with Todd and Linda Riddle
3) Jim Jenkins of Toll Brothers Homes and Michael Smith of Johnson Development
4) Doug Goff, Chief Operating Officer of Johnson Development; Jim Jenkins, Vice President of Master-Planned Communities for Toll Brothers; Larry Johnson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Johnson Development; and Rich Muller with The Muller Law Group, PLLC.
5) Tom and Jackie Wilcox, Larry and Suzie Johnson, Christen Johnson, Linda and Chuck Howell, and Alvin San Miguel
Photo Credit: Diane Bauers
Fort Bend Cares Grant Reception
Fort Bend Cares supporters celebrated the awarding of grants to 29 heroic nonprofits serving disadvantaged children in Fort Bend County on Wednesday, June 8 at Safari Texas Ranch. Through the generosity of event sponsors and other donors, Fort Bend Cares distributed $157,500 to these organizations. Close to 40 Fort Bend Cares Grants Committee volunteers performed a thorough review of grant applications from 48 local nonprofits before making their recommendations to the Board of Trustees. Reviews included site visits, meeting with staff, and consideration of factors such as the number of children impacted and whether the organization meets a physical, emotional, or educational need.
1) Representatives from Fort Bend Cares 2016 Grant Recipients and Fort Bend Cares Board of Trustees
2) Fort Bend Cares co-founders Bob McClendon and Jim Rice
3) Kate and Justin Flint with Patty Ward
4) Philip and Beth Butler
5) Kim Icenhower, Chris Breaux and Angie Wierzbicki
6) Trisha and Paul Rostek
7) Wende Buckley and Tonya Lewis
8) Jessica Crute with Shannon Bloesch
Photo Credit: Mary Favre and Liz Furman
Brookwood Benefit Luncheon
The Brookwood Community hit an all-time record in fundraising of $1.5 million at its biennial Benefit Lunch on Tuesday, May 3 featuring Governor Greg Abbott as the keynote speaker. Close to 700 attendees enjoyed the lunch at the “Brookwood Proud, Texas Proud” themed event to benefit adults with disabilities who live and work at the Brookwood Community, known as “Citizens.” Initially started by Brookwood’s Volunteer Association, the Benefit Lunch is in its 16th year and has raised millions of dollars for the Brookwood Community over the years. As a nonprofit organization, Brookwood Community relies on the support of events like this to fund the work programs and residential homes that serve more than 225 disabled adults.
1) Brenda Hicks, Danna Burkett and Cindy Holmes
2) Brookwood founder Yvonne Streit with Chairman of the Board Steve Beasley
3) Governor Greg Abbott with Vivian Shudde, Executive Director at Brookwood, and her sister Vita Goodell, Executive Director at Fort Bend Women’s Center
4) Bud and Nancy Simpson with Carol and Mike Fry
5) Co-Chair Brad Tucker with son, Citizen Frank presenting Governor Greg Abbott with a platter handcrafted by Brookwood Citizens
6) Brookwood Citizen Jeff Joplin showing off the new Brookwood book
7) Co-Chairs Nancy Beasley, Melinda Stubbs and Stephanie Tucker
8) Dr. Buddy and Susan McClung
9) Janice and Bob McNair with Barbara Bush
10) Molly and Sam McBirney
11) Ruth Smith and Holly Alvis
Photo Credit: Brookwood staff
Scene in the Bend: Cari Middaugh August 2016